The Marsh Building
Welcome to our home!
Learn more about one of Monterey's most historic buildings
Originally known as "G.T. Marsh and Sons", or "Marsh's Oriental Art Store", the Marsh Building was constructed in 1928 by Japanese craftsmen under the direction of George Turner Marsh. Marsh, who was a great enthusiast of Japanese and other East Asian cultures, took much inspiration from the architecture he saw in his travels when designing the building, giving it a beautiful appearance that still distinguishes it from much of Monterey to this day.
The Marsh Building was originally used as a residential complex for Marsh's family, and went between several owners, with the last owner before us being the East Asian antique furniture store, "Orientations".
The Marsh Building became a historic landmark in 2007.
For more on the origins of this building and its creator, G.T. Marsh, please click below:
Meet the Turtles!
(Yes, You Read That Right!)
When we acquired the Marsh Building, we were pleased to learn that there were six little residents who would share our gardens with us. The turtles spend much of their days swimming in the pool of the Chinese Garden and wandering between the outdoor spaces of the Marsh Building. They're very friendly and we're more than happy to introduce you to them!
When the time came to name the turtles, we found it best to draw influence from our Armenian heritage. The names of our turtles, and their inspirations, are as follows:
Vartan: named after Vartan Mamikonian, the military leader, martyr, and saint of the Armenian Church.
Levon: named after King Levon (Leo) I, who was responsible for uniting much of Armenia by founding the Christian state of Cilician Armenia.
Diana: named after Diana Abgar, the writer and humanitarian who became one of the world's first woman diplomats in modern history as consul to Japan of the First Republic of Armenia (1918-1920).
Zabel: named after Queen Zabel (Isabella), the queen regnant of Armenian Cilicia from 1219 until her death.
Sevan: named after Lake Sevan in Armenia, which translates to "life-giving sweet water".
Armine: means "woman from Armenia".