— History —
Originally known as "G.T. Marsh and Sons", or "Marsh's Oriental Art Store", the Marsh Building was constructed in 1928 by Japanese craftsmen under the direction of George Turner Marsh. Marsh, who was a great enthusiast of Japanese and other East Asian cultures, took much inspiration from the architecture he saw in his travels when designing the building, giving it a beautiful appearance that still distinguishes it from much of Monterey to this day.
The Marsh Building was originally used as a residential complex for Marsh's family, and went between several owners, with the last owner before us being the East Asian antique furniture store, "Orientations".
The Marsh Building became a historic landmark in 2007.